[VE9KK] All I wanted was some radio time!
VE9KK via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
2020-09-28 14:59:34 UTC
VE9KK Blog

All I wanted was some radio time!

http://ve3wdm.blogspot.com/2020/09/all-i-wanted-was-some-radio-time.html

Good afternoon everyone it's almost been a month since my last post. Now
fall is upon us the evenings are a bit cooler and the leaves are starting
to turn colour. The evenings are dark a lot sooner and for some reason, it
just feels later than it is when this change happens. Once again my radio
time has been sidelined with getting jobs done outside some major jobs and
others just stuff that has to be done before the first snow. In the evening
I have been spending my time reading the many blogs I follow and keeping up
on ham events. As for radio time, it has been off and on but more off then
on as by the time evening comes I just want to read some blogs and relax
with my feet up. When we get a few days of rain it brings the outdoor
project to a halt and I am able then to have some radio time.

During my last rainy spell, I was able to flip the radio switch and get on
the air BUT my PC had other plans for me. My Windows 7 pro was starting up
and I was greeted with the windows blue screen. This is not the first time
for me regarding this problem but unlike the other times, I was prepared
for this event. I installed a backup program (Macrium reflect free edition)
on my PC so I was able to clone and image my hard drive to a USB hard
drive. When issues happen I would be ready and with the clone of my hard
drive Macrium Reflect would guide me on how to boot from this clone and all
would be good to go.
With a smile on my face, I plugged in my USB drive and told my bios to boot
from the USB. My smile turned to a frown when nothing happened! Maybe I was
not following the Macrium Reflects step by step correctly. As I read past
the step-by-step instructions I found the issue and it read "do not attempt
to boot your backup from a USB connected hard drive as windows will not
recognize the OS from this type of drive!!!!!
My next idea was to head to Windows restore and restore the system to a
time I had saved when things were working just fine. I proceeded to Windows
restore to find all my restore points were gone! Later it occurred while
running an OS performance tool I was asked if I wanted to delete files that
have not been used for a while and I said yes......well one set of those
files was my restore points!!!
All was not lost as I felt I could move the clone information from the USB
drive to an internal spare drive in my PC. I still have access to my
Windows 7 OS it's funky but is working enough for me to open the Macrium
Reflect program and transfer the clone from my USB drive to the internal
separate drive in the PC and then I can instruct the PC to boot from that
internal drive.
Easy peasy right.....WRONG....silly me I was only paying half attention to
the transfer of info and I am not sure what I did but the end result was my
main hard drive was wiped clean and the PC was not able to reboot as there
was no OS to be found anywhere. Next time when the program asks me "are you
sure" then "are you sure you are sure" don't click anything stop and think
what I did!
All is not lost my plan now was to reformat the drive and do a clean
install of Windows 7 pro and then start the transfer idea again and this
time pay attention!! I want to keep with the transfer idea as that would
give me all my installed programs and settings and not starting from
scratch. Fast-forward.... Windows 7 installed and with many minor issues as
always with Windows. I then attempted to download Macrium Reflect to
begin.....FINALLY....the transfer but using Explorer it refused the
download the program. After trying some workarounds I just downloaded
Firefox and it was more than happy to download Macrium. It was nice to be
making some progress oh and let me say that up to this point I have been
playing around at this for almost 2 days now. Some of the issues during OS
install

Paying very close attention this time I ran Macrium Reflect and was
successful in transferring my USB files to the separate E drive. It was
time to now instruct my bios to boot from drive E and see what happens.
Something did happen but not what I expected to happen. I was asked to
choose an OS it seems I somehow went from no OS to now having 2. When I
chose the first option the PC restarted and I was brought back to this same
screen. I choose option 2 called recovered and low and behold Window 7 was
back with all my programs, settings and windows updates intact.
The last thing I did was deleted the first option OS and when I did this
the OS option screen was gone and things just started in Windows 7 as it
should. Lesson learned and I am now doing all my backups from an internal
hard drive. Overall this long ordeal was a good learning experience and I
confident that next time I will have a smoother transition if my OS goes
for a crash. OS option screen at startup
wicklowham
2020-09-28 15:13:32 UTC
Post by VE9KK via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
VE9KK Blog
[...]
Don't know whether you ever have ,but using Linux would have saved you
a lot of time in recovering from your software problems.

Frank , EI7KS